[Spellyans] Cornish words, or Foreign ones?

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sun Oct 19 22:36:43 BST 2008

I think that the "doublets" were for emphasis, and perhaps they indicate that you could emphasise Cornish words by adding the equivalent English word. Presumably, English was, even then, seen to be the stronger language. It also seems to indicate that the audience was expected to be bilingual. If the English words had been fully assimilated, there would have been no need for the Cornish words to have been used as well.

Again, "out" would have been more emphatic than the (normal) yn mes, simply because "out" belonged to the stronger language.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim