[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Fri Oct 31 11:33:22 GMT 2008

It is as you say, Nicholas, that the distinction is that BOS is used with
a Nominal Complement and MOS with an Adjectival Complement. At first
glance,"yth oma gyllys leper" (BM 1359)
'I have become a leper'
seems to contradict this. However LEPER was formerly used adjectivally in
English. The OED gives "1483 CAXTON G. de la Tour Fvijb, God was wrothe
with her and made her to become lepre." So perhaps BM1359 would be better
translated 'I have become leprous'.Jon