[Spellyans] SWF questionable wordforms

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Sep 17 09:18:33 IST 2008

I cannot follow your argument, Andrew. Why do you doubt the legitimacy of
Lhuyd's <dh> in this word? How does analogy with 'nyhewer' tell us
anything about whether 'gorthuher '? should be spelled with  <th> or
<dh>? The attestations includeOrdinalia: gorthuer
Ton, Rad. (1504): gorzewarWhich gives some legitimacy for spelling this
word *gordhewer.
Jon