[Spellyans] SWF questionable wordforms

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Sep 17 13:43:24 IST 2008

We should write <dewes> because it is thus attested, the etymological vowel
fits, and the alternation -es ~ -osow is regular an well attested. -as would
have made sense in KS (original draft). What we shouldn't write is *diwes.
This is a purely speculative form that the SWF should not have permitted.
The <i> as reconstructed by George is by analogy with Breton and Welsh, but
the Cornish word has a different history. If it were analogous to the Breton
and Welsh forms we would have found *dyes or *dyas in Middle Cornish, which
we don't.

Dan

  _____