[Spellyans] Language tags for Cornish orthographies

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Sep 29 17:21:08 IST 2008

Thanks for the clarification.

The difference between SWF (either form) Middle Cornish Variant and SWF
(either form) Late Cornish Variant is greater than between SWF Main form
(either variant) and SWF Traditional form (either variant.)  I suppose that
what subtags you need will depend on your reason for subtagging.

There does not appear to be anything in the SWF specification to prevent
anyone using a mixture of forms and variants according to whim. They
apparently won't be marked as incorrect. People will learn some words from
one book and some words from another, and a strange mixture could be the
result.

The downside is that this would mess up any attempt at tagging.
The upside is that the current divisions amongst Cornish Revivalists will
become blurred with time, and a single standard form might one day emerge.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim