[Spellyans] Goat

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Apr 6 15:33:34 IST 2009

I think it's the OCV that has gauar but MC forms seem to have -er
(including the place-name attestations).  Dialect has 'gayver'.  I've
just thought of another place name which has the word, as the first
element in a compound with -hal, 'marsh-goat' to mean 'snipe,
woodcock'.  This is the old name for Lower Moors, St Mary's, Scilly,
mentioned in 1652 as Gwernewgavell (for gwern an gaverhal) - source
'Exploration of a Drowned Landscape', Charles Thomas 1985.

Craig

On 6 Ebr 2009, at 15:04, Jon Mills wrote:

> I do not think that we should adopt a form simply because certain
> revived forms of Cornish have spelled the item that way. Not all
> revived forms of Cornish spell this item <gavar>, as you know. Nor
> should we eschew a particular spelling simply because it is the one
> favoured by George. The only attested Middle Cornish form is
> <gaver>. If we spell this item any other way, we need good reasons
> for so doing. It is not sufficient to say, well that's what Nance
> and Jenner did. How do you think Middle Cornish <gaver> was
> pronounced? and how would spelling it with final <-ar> help to
> convey that pronunciation?
> Jon

Craig Weatherhill