[Spellyans] glin

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:45:09 IST 2009

The basic form is glin < Celtic *glûnes < earlier *gnûnes,
reduplication of the root seen in Latin genu 'knee', Gk gonu 'knee'.
With Cornish glin, cf. Welsh glin, Irish glúin 'knee'.
Since the root is for the most part found unstressed in the dual
dewlyn, we sometimes wrongly assume that the basic form is *glyn, not
glin with a long vowel.
That the vowel of the simplex is indeed long can be inferred from the
spelling <gleyn> in war ben gleyn PA 56b.

Nicholas

The word is