[Spellyans] 1st person singular preterite 'mynnys' and 'gallos'

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Fri Apr 17 15:37:30 IST 2009

Thanks for that Nicholas.

I have seen some pretty rum things in the SWF but I think this one
beats the lot.  It tends to make the preterite of a number of verbs
more irregular than necessary and can cause mispronunciation.  I have
been attempting to write some course material for the SWF, up until
now I have been biting my tongue at its absurdities and getting on
with it but on this one I shall be abrogating.

On 17 Ebr 2009, at 13:47, nicholas williams wrote:

> I am very sorry. My mistake. My eyesight is deteriorating.
>
> The first singular preterite of gallos is not attested.
>
> Gyllys is attested 26 times but only as the verbal adjective of mos.
> It is never spelt gyllis either.
>
> When a verb has a preterite 1st and 3rd singular alike in -ys
> there is no difference in spelling between the endings in the texts.
>
> Thus
> ze iudas y leueris 'to Judas he said' PA 48a is third singular, but
> Pur apert hag yn golow
> y leueris ow dyskas 'Quite openly and in daylight I uttered my
> teaching' PA 79a is first singular.
>
> Similarly ny leuerys vn ger gow 'I have not said a word of a lie' RD
> 1049 is first singular and
> del leuerys thy'm perfyth 'as he told me perfectly'  RD 684 is third
> singular.
>
> The distinction is unnecessary. Ef a leverys is common, but for 'I
> said' one also uses the third singular Me a leverys
> and when negative or interrogative on usually says Ny wrug vy
> leverel, a wrug vy leverel.
> Moreover the LC 3rd singular preterite is laveras, lavaras: e.g. Ha
> Deu laveras; Deu a Couzas an geryou ma, ha Lavaras TBoson.
>
> The distinction between y leveris 'I said' and y leverys 'he said'
> cannot be justified by reference to the texts.
>
> Nor can 1st singular preterite mynnis, gyllis be justified—
> particularly since neither preterite mynnys/mynnis nor preterite
> gyllys/gyllis is attested.The form mynnys, mennys occurs but only as
> a second person pres-fut. (for earlier mynnyth).
>
> If they occur, KS writes <mynnys, mydnys>, <gyllys> for the first
> singular of mydnas, gallos.
>
> Nicholas
>

> On 17 Apr 2009, at 13:09, <ajtrim at msn.com> <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:
>
>> The form gallas is 3rd pers.sg. preterite.
>> Ray was enquiring about 1st pers.sg. preterite.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow