[Spellyans] Goat

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:26:27 IST 2009

A syllabic consonant r or l, would not sound very different from schwa
+ consonant.

Dan's question remains: how do we write *pobXl, *marXw, *lavXr and
*lyvXr.
It seems that the traditional spelling of these and similar items has
been influenced by
other factors. When in the sequence schwa + consonant, the consonant
is [w], the
epenthetic vowel is the rounded schwa, written <o>: galow, marow,
gelow, etc.
When the sequence schwa + consonant contains [l] or [r] preceded by a
high or mid-high stressed vowel,
the schwa is written <e>: lyver, lever, pobel. The schwa is the higher
variety, which can also be written <y>, e.g. pobyl.
When the sequence is preceded by the low vowel [a], the schwa is
written <a>: lavar.

In which case <gavar> is probably the most sensible spelling for the
word for 'goat'.

In Later Cornish <a> is written in all cases: maraw, pobal, levar
'book.'

Nicholas