[Spellyans] Goat

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Apr 20 13:29:18 IST 2009

Jon, Nicholas,

We cannot know if or when /r/, /l/ or /w/ were pronounced as syllabic
consonants. Cornish texts generally show a vowel graph, which likely means
that a vowel + consonant sequence was perceived. Whatever the exact sound
was, whether it was perceived as being in a phoneme category that harmonises
with the stressed vowel, or whether a neutral epenthetic vowel is coloured
by the following consonant is impossible for us to determine. So any rule
that we can come up with and that is justified by the attestations in
traditional Cornish is legitimate. Again, <gavar> and <gaver> are both
legitimate, correct spellings for Revived Cornish, in my opinion. The rule e
+ l, r, and o + w, regardless of the preceding stressed vowel is a simpler
rule.

Dan

  _____