[Spellyans] tycky Duw

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Aug 13 23:12:37 IST 2009

As far as I'm aware, the Cornish word for butterfly is only attested
in the singular and from Late Cornish (Lhuyd).  The plural doesn't
seem to occur in the texts (although I may be wrong).

Nance has tykky dewas for the plural, as does Nicholas (as tycky-
Dewas); Neil has ticky diuas.  Ken G, Dick Gendall and Dan don't offer
a plural.

I wonder if these modern plurals are right.  *tycky Duw translates as
"God's pretty thing" and, therefore, the plural should translate as
"God's pretty things".  Should a single God be pluralised?

It seems right to me that the plural should, instead, be "tyckyes Duw"
or "tyckyas Duw".  - pretty things of God".  Otherwise, it would
translate as "pretty thing of gods".

Any thoughts?