[Spellyans] tycky Duw

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:24:11 IST 2009

The question is whether the speakers of Cornish thought tycky Duw
to be a compound or not.
There are similar formations in Irish that can pluralise either the
first or the second
element.
The Irish for 'wolf' is mac tíre 'son of land'. The natural plural is
mic tíre 'sons of land'
yet mactírí is also attested.
Similarly earc luachra 'creature of rushes' means 'lizard' and is
pluralised as earca luachra.
A form each luachra also occurs and this has a plural eachluachraí,
which I have heard.

The Irish for 'ladybird' is bóín Dé 'God's little cow' and the plural
is bóíní Dé 'God's little cows'.

Since we have no evidence for tycky Duw it seems legitimate to me to
opt for either
tyckyas Duw or tycky Dewas.

Nicholas