[Spellyans] trigys with long or short forms of bos

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 12:40:40 IST 2009

Me a drig [My a dryg] for 'I live' is common in the revived language
and appears to derive from Nance. It is without warrant in the texts.

In traditional Cornish  ev a drig means 'he will remain, he will
dwell', e.g. ha nena ny a dryg in du ha gans du, ha du a dryg innan ny
'and then we will dwell in God and with God, and God will dwell in us'
TH 30
y vabe cayne in paynes brase ef a dryg bys venytha 'his sone Cain, in
great torment he will live for ever' CW 2031-32

'He lives in that house' is rendered in Cornish as yma va trigys i'n
chy-na. Notice that long forms of the verb bos are more common with
trigys than are short forms, and this is not confined to Late Cornish:

LONG
vyth na wrella compressa ow tus vs trygys ena OM 1424-25
punscie y tus mar calas vs trygys agy the’th wlas OM 1482-83
omma yth ese tregys avel hermyt in guelfos BM 1963-64
fatell ra eff in tyrmyn ay vicitacyon agan humbrag ny in ban then wlas
vgy y vab Jhesus crist inhy tregys TH 11a
En termen ez passiez thera trigaz en St. Levan dean ha bennen JCH §1

SHORT
tregys off lemen heb wov berth in castel an dynas sur in peddre BM
2209-11.

For 'I live in Cornwall', then, either Yth esoma trigys in Kernow or
Trigys ov in Kernow are admissible.