[Spellyans] David Mitchells's views on Cornish and revival of 'ancient languages'.

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Sun Aug 16 07:37:20 IST 2009

Nicholas and friends,

The Spellyans group may have come across reference to this issue.  I attach downloads herewith and give references below.

Last week's 'Who Do You Think You Are?' programme featured David Mitchell, who traced his ancestry in the 19th century to sheep-farmers in Sutherland (who had supplanted the original population), and to a parish minister in Sleat.   This was accompanied by a blog on the Guardian website which looked as if it had been done at the same time - and maybe also in Sleat.  ( or maybe Loch Ness with monster and what looks like fishing boats added.)

This has caused some offence in Sleat where he was hospitably treated and and considerably assisted with local facilities.  The blog can be accessed on:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/interactive/2009/jul/06/david-mitchell-soap-box

I was unable to locate a transcript of this blog - so have attempted such myself ( + / - ) which may be of interest to colleagues - and please find attached herewith.

If any one feels moved to correct any inaccuracies in the trnascript or fill in gaps please feel free to do so.

The blog attracted 168 comments - which also please find copy herewith attached for info.     These range across the usual points and arguments pro and anti - and may be valuable as a representative sample of these in contemporary discourse.  None however focuses on what are the actual present-day causes of reduction of numbers of Gaelic speakers.     There is some recourse to what is 'natural' and what is 'obvious'. ( It is of course also 'obvious' that the sun rotates around the earth once a day, and that the earth is flat.)   There are some interesting points made about 'natural selection'.

I am not suggesting that any of this actually merits any specific reply.   But it is interesting to note the range of public comment on these issues.   We do need to understand that these ideas are in circulation, and maybe to take them into account in appropriate ways.

I hope that this may be of interest -  an Ken ken

Ken MacKinnon is now on Broadband  with new e-mail addresses:-

ken at ferintosh.org
and also at:-
ken.ferintosh at googlemail.com

My former e-mail addresses are no longer able to be used.

(Prof) Ken MacKinnon
Ivy Cottage, Ferintosh,
The Black Isle, by Dingwall,
Ross-shire  IV 7 8HX