[Spellyans] David Mitchells's views on Cornish and revival of 'ancient languages'.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Aug 16 08:13:21 IST 2009

I'm not surprised this has caused offence.  Does Mitchell not realise
that Cornish IS British, having descended from the British language
(Brythonic)?  What would he say to the fact that English was an
endangered language 700 years ago and survives today largely due to
the efforts of three Cornishmen of the time (one of history's great
ironies)?  If not for that, we'd be speaking a form of Norman-French
now.

I also note that he says not a single word about the many millions
spent each year on teaching and promoting English.  Or that what
Ulster/Scots, which he describes as a dialect of English) receives
vastly greater funding than either Gaelic or Cornish.

I'm afraid that his posturing is typical of rampant Anglocentric
behaviour, as are the majority of the responses.  Did you see the
measure of self-government in Cornwall earlier in the year?  Many were
openly racist and offensive - but we, the Cornish, are the great
unrepresented, the great disenfranchised and the great unprotected.
We remain about the only race, or group (as Travellers are included)
in the known world that the UK government refuses to include on the
Framework Convention for National Minorities.

However, people like Mitchell have been trying to get rid of us for
1500 years and, even after all that time,  don't seem to realise that
we're not going.

Craig

Craig Weatherhill