[Spellyans] David Mitchells's views on Cornish and revival of 'ancient languages'.

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 08:34:29 IST 2009

How is Scottish Gaelic an "ancient language"? It's not Tocharian or
Hittite. It's still spoken, so it's modern.
Gaelic is Celtic and therefore Indo-European. English is Germanic and
Indo-European. So both English and Gaelic
are developments of the same proto-language and are thus exactly the
same age.

I gave up reading the Guardian years ago. I'm glad I did.

Nicholas