[Spellyans] eleven & only

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Aug 22 16:31:54 IST 2009

On 22 Aug 2009, at 15:28, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> As far as I am aware the word unikter is a neologism.

That may be, though oddly Nance doesn't mark it with an asterisk. He
does mark another neologism, *ünygeth, with an asterisk. So there we
have UC unyk, unycter, and unygeth. That's two words (even if
neologisms) derived from a stem. Wheg, whecter. Unnyk, unycter.
Glanyth, glanythter. Pryveth, pryvetter. This is a familiar pattern in

> How can that dictate how Revived Cornish is to be spelt? Shouldn’t
> the neologism rather follow the traditional spellings and be amended
> to *unekter?

Sorry, Dan, but I really don't understand you here. What is it that
you are doing? The SWF accepted Ken George's vowels in unstressed
syllables, did it not? Why then are you changing KK "unnik" to SWF
"unnek", while retaining that vowel in "unikter"? Are you applying
your *own* criteria for choosing via orthographic frequency? If so,
how does that fit in with the principles of the SWF?