[Spellyans] days of the week

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:10:02 GMT 2009

I have recently collected the following examples of the adverbial
forms of the days of the week from the texts:

SUNDAY
Dewsull blegyow PA 27a; Dezil  AB: 54c; De Zil JBoson; Dezil Gwavas
MS ; da zeel JTonkin  [KS De Sul/De Zul]

MONDAY
De lîn  AB: 54c [KS De Lun]

TUESDAY
De [or Dedh] Merh AB: 28c; De merh: AB: 54c [KS De Merth]

WEDNESDAY
dumerher BM 2254; De marhar AB: 54c  [KS De Merher]

THURSDAY
deyow hablys PA 41c; duyow hamlos PC 654; deth yov BM 1472; deyow BM
3159; deow habblys SA 66; De Ieu AB: 54c [KS De Yow]

FRIDAY
dugwener BM 120; Du guener BM 4316; du guener BM 4318, 4321, 4420; De
guenar AB: 54c  [KS De Gwener]

SATURDAY
De Zadarn AB: 54c [KS De Sadorn/De Zadorn].

In the light of the above it seems odd that in Dan’s SWF dictionary
the first element in all
is <dy’> rather than the attested <de> or <du, dew>.
There is, as far as I can see, no warrant at all for a spelling with
<y>,
nor is there any justification for the apostrophe.
We must assume that the inauthentic spellings with <dy’> have been
taken holus bolus from the “etymological” spellings of KK.
One can only hope that these items will be revised in the SWF after
five years.

Nicholas