[Spellyans] i ~ y

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:14:57 GMT 2009

Lhuyd writes: po kotha Lavar an Enez-ma 'or the older speech of this
island' AB: 222. He also writes hui dho Kodha 'that you fall' AB: 250a.
It certainly looks as though Lhuyd distinguished intervocalic [T] from
intervocalic [D]. I cannot believe he was simply basing himself on Welsh
in these items, since coth is not the Welsh for 'old', although cwyddo
'fall' is common.
So we have a minimal pair kotha ~ kodha.

There is therefore a prima facie case for th ~ dh medially. Can those
who deny the distinction in medial position prove their assertion?

I should like to see them do so. Suspicions and doubts are not enough.
Proof please.

Nicholas