[Spellyans] The Cornish for All Saints' Day

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:52:28 GMT 2009

Thank you for that. I am sorry to have missed it—and in Tregear too!
Mea culpa.
Curiously Nance doesn't give hollsens in his 1955 dictionary.

The word hollsens doesn't refer to the festival but to the saints
generally.
It is also hollsens not ollsens.
The festival would be Degol an Hollsens.

In which case we can forget about Ollsens, which is clearly calqued on
Breton.

I am slightly perplexed by Tregear's in communyon an hollsens.
Elsewhere 'all the saints' is rendered by Oll an Sens, e.g.

banneth genogh oll an sens BM 578
mollath Chryst hag ol an syns! BK 3157.

Hollsens isn't the same as that, but looks like a collective noun.
The position of the article makes me think that (H)ollsens is a
collective singular rather than a plural.

Nicholas