[Spellyans] The Cornish for All Saints' Day

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 00:29:54 GMT 2009

On 5 Whe 2009, at 14:18, nicholas williams wrote:

> It might looks as though the Cornish word oll 'all'  has been
> contaminated
> by English 'whole'; but holl- is also attested as prefix in Welsh,
> e.g. Duw Hollalluog 'Almighty God', so holl- here is probably
> authentic, although
> the root is oll-; cf. Irish ule, uile.

Indeed, in Welsh we find:
	oll, adv, all, wholly
	holl, adj. all, whole
	holl-, prefix. al-, all-, omni-

Interestingly, in Scots Gaelic we find the cognate form both with and
without < h- >
	uile, adj. all
	na h-uile, adj.. every
	a h-uile duine. everyone
	uil-, uile-, prefix. al-, all-, omni-
There's a pattern of epenthetic < h- > found elsewhere in S.G., such as
	àraidh. special
	gu h-àraidh. especially

Could the role of the < h- > likewise be epenthetic in Welsh and
Cornish?

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem