[Spellyans] The Cornish for All Saints' Day

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:18:26 GMT 2009

  Eddie, the initial h- in ScG and h (no hyphen) in Irish is quite
unrelated to the h in holl.
In the genitive muintir na hÉireann, Pàrlamaid na h-Alba, for example
the h is actually part of the article (feminine genitive), na < *indas

Morris Jones explains the h of holl < oll in Welsh as having been caused
by the r of the definite article yr before the stressed vowel of oll.
yr ollolluog > yrh ollolluog > yr hollolluog.
Initial stressed r- in Welsh is voiceless in native words, e.g.
rhew, rhai, rhwng.

I am not sure that this explanation can apply with Breton and Cornish,
since in the MB and MC period their article did not contain r and
initial
rh is not usual in either.

I suspect that in Breton at least h was used in juncture after
possessive
adjectives, da h oll mennat 'all your desire' and was then generalised.

The origin of holl in all three languages is likely to have been
through false division.

Nicholas