[Spellyans] the pronunciation of <hegar>

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Mon Feb 9 12:55:01 GMT 2009

Quite agree on the accentuation, if Welsh and Breton are anything to go by.

Incidentally, the word in Breton is hegarad (hegarat in ZH orthography), so the question of accentuation doesn't actually arise in that particular word. The he- morpheme is completely unproductive in Modern Breton (in actual speech; the literary language is another matter) and appears to have been so for a very long time. However, modern coinages such as hezoug "portable, mobile" are stressed on the first syllable by KLT users.

In Welsh, too, the hy- morpheme is unproductive in speech; modern literary coinages using hy- are felt to be so twee as to be jocular, cf. hybarch for parchus "respectable". Even so, where prefixed to monosyllables, the stress is on the hy-, as in /'h?barx/.

Steve Hewitt