[Spellyans] "praise"

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:13:52 GMT 2009

In Dan's dictionary the vn of the verb 'to praise' is <gormel> but the
related noun is <gormeula>
What evidence is there for the sound spelt <eu>?
I have collected the following exx from the texts:

gormel BM 1420
gormel BM 2241
gormelas (verbal adjective) TH 8
wormolha BK 1798
wormol BK 1966
wormol BK 2342
gormollow (plural imperative) TBoson

gormolys (noun) BK 2532
gormolys (noun) BK 2678
Gormolys (noun) BK 2708

Gormola WGwavas
Gormola WGwavas.

wormoladow BK 835
wormoladow BK 1629.

The graph <eu> in SWF represents what in Middle Cornish orthography
was written <u, v, ue, eu>, but in the examples listed above we have no
examples at all of *gormeul-, *gormul- or *gormuel-.
There can be little justification for such a spelling in the SWF.
The spelling should surely be vb. gormel, vadj. gormelys, imperative
pl. gormolewgh.
nominal forms gormol, gormola, gormoladow.

As common a root for 'praise' and 'to praise' is preys, prays,
preysya, praysya:

preysya x 2; breysya x 2; praysya x 2; prays x 1; prayse x 2; preise x
1; preysse x 2; preezyo x 1.