[Spellyans] "praise"

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Feb 10 13:08:31 GMT 2009

Nicholas,

Dan

  _____

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:14 AM

In Dan's dictionary the vn of the verb 'to praise' is <gormel> but the related noun is <gormeula>

What evidence is there for the sound spelt <eu>?

I have collected the following exx from the texts:

gormel BM 1420

gormel BM 2241

gormelas (verbal adjective) TH 8

wormolha BK 1798

wormol BK 1966

wormol BK 2342

gormollow (plural imperative) TBoson

gormolys (noun) BK 2532

gormolys (noun) BK 2678

Gormolys (noun) BK 2708

Gormola WGwavas

Gormola WGwavas.

wormoladow BK 835

wormoladow BK 1629.

The graph <eu> in SWF represents what in Middle Cornish orthography

was written <u, v, ue, eu>, but in the examples listed above we have no

examples at all of *gormeul-, *gormul- or *gormuel-.

There can be little justification for such a spelling in the SWF.

The spelling should surely be vb. gormel, vadj. gormelys, imperative pl. gormolewgh.

nominal forms gormol, gormola, gormoladow.

As common a root for 'praise' and 'to praise' is preys, prays, preysya, praysya:

preysya x 2; breysya x 2; praysya x 2; prays x 1; prayse x 2; preise x 1; preysse x 2; preezyo x 1.