[Spellyans] A little essay for "Penny"

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Feb 11 11:35:54 GMT 2009

On 11 Feb 2009, at 10:40, Jon Mills wrote:

> I'm not sure what it is that you are trying to say with regard to
> fortis and lenis consonants. It is, I believe, generally recognised
> that Present Day English has fortis and lenis consonants.

Not phonemically. The phonemic distinction is voiceless and voiced.

> So why do you say, "It is unlikely that Dolly Pentreath or her
> contemporaries  were speaking English or Cornish with fortis and
> lenis consonants ..."?

I say that because I think the Brythonic system was replaced by the
Germanic system due to intense language contact (including the
learning of Cornish by Germanic speakers, which -- as in Mann -- is
likely to have caused the process which led to pre-occlusion.