[Spellyans] 2nd pl imperative

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Tue Feb 17 12:46:09 GMT 2009

This is a ghost. None of the texts from BM or before consistently distinguish the ending of the 2nd person plural present-future from the 2nd person plural imperative.
Some might argue that it is nevertheless useful to make such a distinction for purposes of disambiguation. However consider the following:
1) Go to bed! (Imperative)
2) I go to church on Sundays. (1st pers. sing. pres.)
3) To go or not to go? (Infinitive)
Then ask yourself the question, would we be better served by an orthography that spells these 3 parts of the paradigm of GO differently?
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent

--