[Spellyans] 2nd pl imperative

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:22:56 GMT 2009

The stressed vowel of gureuh has affected the unstressed vowel of
gueleuh.

I collected 26 imperatives from OM in -eugh and 14 forms in -ough and -
ugh. I then binned them by accident.
Many of the -eugh forms were preceded by eugh 'go', with a stressed ew
which may have affected the spelling of unstressed -eugh.
The pres-fut and pres subj also have unstressed -eugh, -ough and -ugh
in OM, though they are much less commonly attested anyway.

The plural imperative geseugh, gesough has the following forms in the
texts:

geseugh x 2
gesough x 5
gesogh x 3
gesowgh x 4
gesow x 20
gesugh x 3.

I think to attempt to distinguish imperative -ewgh from indicative -
owgh is futile and inauthentic.

Nicholas