[Spellyans] gostoyth, gosteyth, gostyth

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 15:08:18 GMT 2009

I am not sure.

The word is <gustyth> twice in OM (lines 137 and 295).
Tregear writes <gustith> at TH 12.
It looks as though the word is < * wo-eks-têg-to or similar; in which
case the second
syllable would be -ey- in MC when stressed, i.e. gosteythter. On the
other hand
the unstressed -ith/-yth of gustith/gustyth would lead me to allow
gostyth as the basic form
Perhaps the simplest thing would be to write <gosteyth, gosteythter>.
But gostyth cannot be considered wrong.

What do you think, Dan?

Nicholas