[Spellyans] <gwredhen> or <gwreydhen> "root"?

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 13:50:48 GMT 2009

The place-name Trythall contains this word,  This is pronounced with
Try- pronounced to rhyme with English 'try" - with the th a definite
dh. (TRY-dhul).  The name was Trewreythel 1289.  I  judge that this is
tre, 'farm" + gwreydh + adj. suffix -el, and might mean something on
the lines of "farm where root(crops) grow".

Craig