[Spellyans] Introduction

David Trethewey dlrt2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 2 19:18:25 GMT 2009

Thanks for the welcome.

I have actually had the chance to look at the original texts in a
lecture course up at my uni in Cambridge.

Paul Russell, a Welsh scholar also lectures short courses in Cornish and
Breton, and I had the chance to read extracts from the original texts of
Origo Mundi, Passyon agan Arluth and Bewnans Meriasek.

    As a learner, I hope I can provide a learner's perspective on the
current discussions.I have learnt from a variety of materials, beginning
in UC with the book Cornish for Beginners by Peter Pool. I've also
learnt from books in Kemmyn. I've been undeterred by the arguments about
the orthography, it can easily be seen that the modern form, whichever
orthography, is the same language as the traditional one.
     I can see the argument for traditional spelling partly because that
makes the traditional texts so much more accessible. I also think that
it is important to ensure that the orthography makes it possible to know
as accurately as possible how to pronounce words. With the increasing
availability of online podcasts and the like, we may find this less of a
problem as time goes on, but for myself having learnt mostly from texts,
I found this one of the main advantages of Kemmyn.
    I think that KS does quite a good job of reconciling traditional
spellings with pronouncability. In my opinion the main difficulty with
the SWF is that it is not a single form. By giving options in spelling
with its side forms and variant forms it perpetuates the tripartite
split. What will happen is each party will produce their own
dictionaries, learning resources etc. one in the Main Form, the other in
Late, the other in the traditional graphs. With a single written form,
we could produce a single dictionary for the entire revived language.
The problem with having 3 written forms, is that as each party produces
its own dictionary etc. we will have different neologisms and borrowings
and the split will grow over time.
    I'm trying to grow my vocabulary by reading texts in the language.
This has been mostly Kemmyn texts so far (An Gannas, a book of poetry in
Kemmyn and some stories by Wella Brown), but what do people recommend
for what I should read next? I'm slightly reluctant to change completely
to UCR since that will be supplanted in time by something based on KS or
the SWF-Tradycyonal and I'd have to change my spelling twice.

David