[Spellyans] kal revisited

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Jan 3 22:15:55 GMT 2009

I forgot to add that the word is cal in place names, e.g. Calvadnack
(<cal vannek), Colvannick (<cal vannek), Carrallack (< ker gallek),
Colvenner (2 exx.) (<cal veneth).

The first example has: <cal>, 5 times from the available spellings,
all 14th/15th century.

The third has: <-gallek> once; <-kallek> once, <-allek> once and
<allack> once.

The fourth has, for the Cury site: <cal> once and <kal> once and,
		for the Wendron site: <cal> once.

Not even a hint of a <-gh> ending, so, put with Nicholas's textual
examples, that makes 28 historic examples of the word with no sign of
<-gh>, against none that have such an ending.  Ergo, George's spelling
is a fiction and is not Cornish.  The SWF <kalgh, calgh, kal', cal'>
are therefore incorrect and should be <kal, cal> only.

Craig

On 3 Gen 2009, at 21:33, nicholas williams wrote:

> The word kal 'membrum virile' used by John Boson and respelt by
> George as *kalgh
> is attested elsewhere:
>
> Mentula…A man's privy member… C. & Ar[morican] Kal AB: 89a
> Penis…C. Lost, kal AB: 116c
> Veretrum…A man's privy member. C. Kal AB: 171c
> KAL, membrum virile Pryce.
>
> We thus have 5 occurrences all spelt <kal>.
> What possible reason was there for the spelling *<kalgh>?
>
> Nicholas

Craig Weatherhill