[Spellyans] kal revisited

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Jan 4 05:19:30 GMT 2009

In place-names, <cal> is one of several "body-part" words used for
examples).  It would signify a pointed hill or rock.  In Carrallack,
St Just, (derived from ker + callek, lenited to gallek) the adjectival
form is given and I think this might be the sole example of the
adjective.  The name would mean something on the lines of: "fort by
the penis-like feature" (undoubtedly the adjacent hill of Carn
Bosavern which, seen from the west where Carrallack stands, has a very
distinctive shape).

Craig

On 3 Gen 2009, at 22:41, nicholas williams wrote:

> Though three examples are from Lhuyd, one from Pryce may derive from
> Lhuyd as may the example from JBoson.
> What does the element mean in placenames?
>
> Nicholas
>

> On 3 Jan 2009, at 22:15, Craig Weatherhill wrote:
>
>> at makes 28 historic examples of the word with no sign of <-gh>,

Craig Weatherhill