[Spellyans] kal revisited

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 17:48:24 GMT 2009

I think you might have to horrify her, Christian!  The historic
sequence is as follows:

Karkallek 1302, Cargallek 1302, 1312; Carallek 1410; Carallack 1589

The derivation is most probably ker + callek (lenited).

The "ker" was undoubtedly a Late Iron Age round, or enclosed
settlement, situated at the near the western foot of Carn Bosavern.
The actual site of this isn't known, and the field names don't lend
much help.  I suspect that the round might have been on the site of
the present Carrallack Farm, although "Carrallack Field" lies 100m S
of the farm.  The fields here are of a nuclear pattern, the nucleus
being the farm itself.

The "Callek" (penile, penis-like feature) is undoubtedly Carn Bosavern
itself, which is the only prominent hill within a mile radius of the
site.  Viewed from the west, this exhibits a long, comparatively
gentle and regular slope (now carrying a divided terrace of houses) to
the 158m (520 ft) summit, which is capped by a low exposed granite tor
(carn).  The southern slope drops very steeply away from the summit,
so that (from the west) the hill looks like a wedge lying on its side.

Craig