[Spellyans] kal revisited

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Jan 5 18:05:03 GMT 2009

On 5 Jan 2009, at 16:16, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> That would suggest [kæ:l].

So? It's just another member of the list of anomalous vowel lengths
that the SWF doesn't mark.

> I want [kæl] or possible (on Craig’s place name evidence) [kɒl].

<al> is already [ɒ:l] and if you wanted [kɒl] I think you'd have to
write <koll>. Where do you get that vowel from Craig's place-name
evidence, however?

We have rules about a before l and r in KS which so far as I know are
reflected in the SWF (needs checking). To get [kæl] I think only
<càl> would actually do it.

In the short term, Dan, the SWF will give you <calgh> and <cal'>. I
think innovation on your part to <call> would be going too far.