[Spellyans] ‘Pound’ in Cornish

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Tue Jan 6 21:51:54 GMT 2009

I don't like <peuns>.
I don't think that we can improve much on Nance here.

<dynar> would of course be "an old penny" ("pence" after a number higher than one).
<penny> would presumably be "a new penny" ("pence" after a number higher than one).
If <puns> is "a pound"; no problem.
If <pens> is "a pound"; confusion!

It would be OK if we were still using <dynnerow> but we have decimalised, and we have now dropped the "new".
So in English, its "pence" or the naughty "pee".
I'm sure that it would have been <pens> or <py> in Cornish too, had Cornish lasted long enough.

Why not use <sovran> for "pounds"?
(Maybe <ewro> soon!)

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim