[Spellyans] ‘Pound’ in Cornish

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 23:57:15 GMT 2009

On 6 Jan 2009, at 21:51, <ajtrim at msn.com> <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:
> I don't like <peuns>.
> I don't think that we can improve much on Nance here.

Agreed. 'pens' is too confusing with English 'pence'. It has to be
'puns'.

As for '(new) pence', I've heard people calling them 'dynar' in
Cornish. This older word is still perfectly serviceable for the new
currency, and if there were some possibility of confusion between
pre- and post-decimal pennies (I can't imagine how, off the top of my
head!), then it'd be easy enough to qualify them as 'noweth' or 'coth.

Anyway, there are far too many of the old terms for money that have
already become obsolete with the disappearance of the old coinage
(hanter-demma, ferdhyn, demma, whednar, sols, hanter curun, curun,
gyny ...); we should conserve what little we have left!

Eddie