[Spellyans] ‘Pound’ in Cornish

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 07:55:55 GMT 2009

Dyner/dynar also turns up as a place name element.

"De Narrow Zawn", close to Botallack Mine, is Sawan Dynarow (which
makes sense as this zawn is eroded into a particularly rich vein of
tin).

A mine in St Agnes parish, mentioned in 1708, was Trydinner; another
mine in St Agnes, also recorded in 1708, was Wheal an Dinner.  A field
name in Wendron (Tithe Apportionment) is Padge Dinner (pajer dynar).

Some might remember that 7 or 8 years ago, I designed a banknote for
the Cornish Stannary Parliament:  this was a 500 dynar note (fiver).
I think there's a line in one of the Miracle Plays about someone owing
the sum of 500 dynar.

Craig