[Spellyans] Maga Newsletter

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Jan 8 09:33:22 GMT 2009

Several months ago, Andrew, Maga paid me to produce a discussion
document, with a recommendation list for place-names.  The list that I
produced contained about 3,500 toponyms, from towns and villages, to
topographic features, and archaeological sites.  It has yet to see the
light of day and one wonders why.

What I endeavoured to do was to balance the linguistic demands with
preserving the historical integrity of each name (not always an easy
task).  As both the Commission and Jenefer herself has said, this was
best achieved by using traditional graphs so I set out to adhere to
SWF/T as closely as I could.  This I almost achieved but felt
compelled to reintroduce the <au> graph, as the SWF alternative simply
did not work with the names.

There is bound to be opposition from CLB members, because I heavily
criticised their place-name recommendation booklet in "Form and
Content".  However, their recommendations were all about language (in
this case KK), with no regard to the history of the names.  For
example, the CLB simply translated the modern English names of St
Columb Major and Minor into Cornish, producing Sen Kolomm Veur and Sen
Kolomm Vyghan.  Had they done any historical research, they'd have
found the genuine Cornish names for both: Plugolom and Colom
respectively.

I am happy to send a copy of the document to anyone who'd like to see
it.

Craig

On 7 Gen 2009, at 22:28, <ajtrim at msn.com> <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> I don't know the answer.
> I did not think that there were any rules for place names.
> Is anyone discussing place names yet?
>
> By the way, the original MAGA text used straight quotes so the
> leading apostrophes of the Late Cornish variants looked OK.
> If you are typing Late Cornish variant SWF, it's better to turn off
> smart quotes.
>

> Regards,
>
> Andrew J. Trim

Craig Weatherhill