[Spellyans] <gwredhen> or <gwreydhen> "root"?

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:08:53 GMT 2009

Now, the Old, Middle and Tudor spellings we've seen do seem to me to
imply a good deal of [@j] (with perhaps a variant [I] before yod). By
Late Cornish, however, Lhuyd's got this as gwredhan, which pretty
clearly ought to indicate [gwreD at n]. If there's alternation here, it
seems to me that it should be:

gwrÿdhyow, gwrÿdhya, gwrÿdh [Middle and Tudor]
gwreydhen, gwreydhow, Trewreydhel [Middle and Tudor]
gwrëdhen [Late]

If I'm right, this is not a 'classic' bës/bÿs word at all -- it's the
diphthong that throws the schema off. Small wonder that this
irregularity should have been forgotten by Lhuyd's time.

~~Owen