[Spellyans] Lhuyd's Cornish

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jul 15 19:54:18 IST 2009

On 15 Jul 2009, at 19:16, Eddie Climo wrote:

> Moreover, 'yn kever' + noun is frequently found in the works of such
> fluent writers as Caradar Smith, Talek Hooper, Myghal Palmer and
> Nance himself, to name but a few. Frankly, if it was good enough for
> them, it's good enough for the rest of us.

I don't believe you. I believe that if Caradar, Talek, Palmer, and
even Nance had had this pointed out to them, all but possibly the last
would have improved their Cornish by giving up the unnecessary "in
kever + noun", favouring attested forms like "ow tùchya" and "adro dhe".

The fact that we can search the corpus now, and they could not, is a
reason for them not to have noticed the distribution. But to suggest
that Caradar would thumb his nose at traditional Cornish by saying
"well, I've been using it" is to make, in my view, an untenable
suggestion.

> English has evolved beyond its roots in the Classical world, and
> Cornish has (in its Revived forms) done likewise.

"In kever + noun" is not "evolution".