[Spellyans] Lhuyd's Cornish

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu Jul 16 13:52:39 IST 2009

On 15 Gor 2009, at 19:16, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 14 Gor 2009, at 13:09, nicholas williams wrote:
>
>> ... in kever 'about' for ow tùchya or adro dhe.
>>
>> These are all Nancean in origin.
>

> Not exactly; this one is also Williamsean in origin, as we find in
> his 2006 E-C Dictionary:
>
> yn kever hemma (f.115)
> yn kever an Spyrys Sans (f.277)
> yn kever pyw osta (f.289)
>
> Moreover, 'yn kever' + noun is frequently found in the works of such
> fluent writers as Caradar Smith, Talek Hooper, Myghal Palmer and
> Nance himself, to name but a few. Frankly, if it was good enough for
> them, it's good enough for the rest of us.

I have to say that I totally disagree.  We should be attempting to
constantly improve our Cornish.  I like to think that if I were able
to go back into the past and meet native Cornish speaker I would have
a chance of being understood.  (Note my good English construction here
because I try to speak and write good Cornish) :-)

As regards Myghal Palmer's otherwise excellent work, in the latest
edition of 'Jory' I have corrected some of the errors of grammar such
as 'yn kever'.  At the time we were simply unaware of these mistakes
as was Nicholas when he compiled 'Clappya Kernowek' and the EC
dictionary.  This does not mean that we should perpetrate them ad
infinitum.  If I can introduce corrections when speaking to two first
language speakers I am sure that it should be no problem for others to
improve their Cornish.

> To insist otherwise smacks, I fear, of pedantry (such as we hear in
> English occasionally; like when someone tries to tell us that only 1
> alternative and 1 protagonist are permissible, because of the words'
> Latin and Greek origins).
>
> English has evolved beyond its roots in the Classical world, and
> Cornish has (in its Revived forms) done likewise.
>
> Eddie Foirbeis Climo
> Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
> Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem

Oll an gwella,

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow