[Spellyans] chair

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jul 19 10:08:10 IST 2009

On 19 Jul 2009, at 07:22, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> What I'm trying to say, Michael, is that, although chayr is used the
> word used in the texts, it has to be emphasised that these are the
> texts that we are lucky enough to have.

Don't you think that the author of Bêwnans Meryasek could have said
"cader" if he'd preferred it to "chair"? :-)

> We are drawing on an incomplete source.

Yes, but we're not lacking a word for the ordinary object that our
butts are sitting on now.

> So, it's my case that place-names should be viewed as "textual"
> evidence, as well.  Chayr appears in some of those, too, such as
> Carn Cheer, Chair Ladder, so this alternative was also good enough
> for place-names.

No argument there. No argument against using "cader" in RC. It's a
question of deciding what sorts of uses it should or could have, and
what sorts of uses "chair" should or could have.