[Spellyans] Normalization of words in -ak and -ek

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jun 4 08:26:38 IST 2009

On 4 Jun 2009, at 00:26, Owen Cook wrote:

> I think Michael's suggestion here is a good one. Final -ak that
> alternates with -og- is an easy rule to remember, while -ek
> alternating with -eg- is a no brainer. There may be edge cases that
> are hard to classify,

There's and medhek 'doctor' medhygyon and gowek 'liar', gowygyon --
but those were always anomalous, so no change there. :-)

> but the principle seems good to me. And the fact is that none of the
> other varieties have seriously grappled with this particular question.

Well, George ends up with some changes (vis à vis Nance) of -ak to -ek
and -eg- to -og- and vice versa, but his rationale is to reflect
underlying forms in Proto-Brythonic. What I have proposed is a
synchronic normalization, as broadly supported by the texts as Nance's
own selection. By this I mean since for many words the texts offer us
little more than (both, say) -ek/-ak for a given word, yet Nance gave
us feminines and plurals and other derivatives. Unfortunately he
didn't comb over that list for pattern as I have recently done; I
suspect he would have approved of the proposed scheme.