[Spellyans] Introducing myself

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 10:01:11 GMT 2009

On 19 Mer 2009, at 08:47, steve at chygwyn.com wrote:

> ... I thought it would be a good idea to
> try and get a translation project going to provide free/open source
> software in Cornish.

Hi Steve,

That sounds like a worthwhile project, and just the sort of thing our
language is lacking. I hope you make the resulting software available
for MacOS (and Windows), as well as for Linux, because I'd sure like
to try some of it!

> My knowledge of Cornish is fairly limited, but I hope that by starting
> up such a project, I might be able to use it as a way of doing
> something
> practical to help me learn a bit more.

My situation is perhaps not dissimilar to yours. I live outside
Cornwall (in Devon); there are no Cornish classes here, and very few
speakers of the language. Of course, one can do a lot these days with
the Web -- emails, web chat, etc. -- but much of the studying is
strictly solo and book based. Like you, I decided to try improve my
skills by actually using what I was learning, to create some resources
in Cornish, by bringing together my growing (but then limited to 1
year's study) competence in Cornish with my existing skill set in
graphics, typography and design. The first fruits of that are already
in publication, and there's more in the pipeline.

By the way, one of the best (free) resources I've found for solo
study, to improve your competence at listening comprehension, is the
huge collection of Cornish language podcasts at http://www.radyo.kernewegva.com/
  . All free, and available either  as streams or downloadable MP3s. I
have them running as linguistic 'wallpaper' while I'm working at the
computer; it's amazing how much you can pick up even when you're not
concentrating on what's being said or sung!

The other free resource that's been of great help is the wealth of
ebooks (and other media) available for downloading off the Web.
Probably the majority of books published in or on Cornish before about
1910 are to be had, as well as some of the manuscript sources. I put
together a 'gazeteer' for everything I could find, and released it
under the title 'An Lyverva hep Cost / The Free Cornish Library'. This
venture proved very popular with Kernewegoryon of all orthographical
persuasions, both here and abroad.

If you (or anyone else on this list would like a copy of the "Lyverva'
text files, why not email me off-list and I'll send them to you:
	eddieagernow-lyverva at yahoo.co.uk

If you want to find out more about the project, there's a thread on
Cornwall24 devoted to it:
	http://www.cornwall24.co.uk/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-4014-start-0.htm

Oll an gwella dhys, Steve, ha dynergh dhe Spellyans!

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem