[Spellyans] Truan, buan

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Mar 2 11:34:14 GMT 2009

From: Michael Everson
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 12:09 AM
================

“Truan is [truːən] (Nance trūan)

================

Michael,

The regular development would give a diphthong *[ˈtrɪʊən] and *[ˈbɪʊən]. The former pronunciation is apparently attested in traditional dialect, Gendall mentions it. The /yː/ remains long in hiatus and develops in this position as if it occurred word-finally, thus the du “black”, tu “side” category. So diphthongisation in this position occurred before unrounding.

For what it’s worth…