[Spellyans] "every day"

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 12:34:49 GMT 2009

Nance (1938) gives pupteth 'every day' and pupteth has always been the
UC spelling of this phrase.
It is questionable, however, how far pupteth was ever really justified.

As far as I can see <pup tyth> is attested once in the texts (OM 831).
I can find no example
of *<pup teth>.

The more expected form with initial <d> after pup/pub is better
attested:

pup deth x 2 BM; x 1 SA
pub deth x 1 BM
pub dith x 3 TH
pob deth x 1 John Davies
peb Dydh x 1 John Boson
pub dyth x 1 John Keigwin
pob Dêth x 1 Wm Gwavas
peb dyth x 1 Pryce.

I recommend replacing *<pùptëdh> or *<pùptÿdh> in KS, if that is what
we are using, with <pùb dëdh> or <pùb dÿdh>.

In Later Cornish the expression kinefar journa (KS kenyver jorna) is
found in the Gwavas MSS.