[Spellyans] "understand" in Cornish

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sat Mar 7 12:08:23 GMT 2009

I agree with Michael. According to the SWF Specification document, it should
be kamonderstondya/camonderstondya because the prefix does not take
secondary stress.

The rules are on the pages marked .18. , .19. , .20. and .21. of the "SWF
Specification Final Version".

Unfortunately, the examples given do not conform to the rules as written.
They say that it should be pednseythen "weekend", pellgowser "telephone",
cammneves "rainbow", corrdonner "microwave" (apparently because the prefix
supposedly takes secondary stress in these words.)  According to the rules,
these should be penseythen, pelgowser, camneves and cordonner.

If there is to be (secondary) stress on the prefix, as they suggest, these
words should be written pedn-seythen, pell-gowser, camm-neves, corr-donner,
and cabm-onderstondya.

We need to decide how these words are to be pronounced and stressed, and
spell them accordingly.  The SWF Specification as written is unhelpful and
may be wrong. We should follow the intent of the rules. Errors should be
documented and then ignored.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim