[Spellyans] "understand" in Cornish

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sat Mar 7 19:09:32 GMT 2009

I agree.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim

From: nicholas williams
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 6:12 PM
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] "understand" in Cornish

I agree. That is why in Alys I wrote pednwysk 'headgear, hat' but penwysker 'hatter'. In the first the prefix is stressed, in the second never.
I agree that decisions need to be made about all items containing cam-, pen-, etc.

The word ùnderstondya has primary stress on the o and secondary stress on the ù. That means that in the compound
camùnderstondya the cam- is not stressed and should be spelt <cam>, not <camm, cabm>.

Nicholas