[Spellyans] 'i'/'y' distribution in KS

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 11:57:40 GMT 2009

I must admit that the use of y and i in recent forms of revived
Cornish has been confusing at best.  Even KK started out with the
intention of writing i for "ee" and y for i (as in "pin"), but didn't
achieve it.  It ended up with words such as kegin, which implies a
pronunciation keg-een (which, of course, it isn't).

Surely, it would be of great benefit to learners, with no possibility
of confusion, to use y consistently for the short vowel and i for the
long throughout.

Craig